Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pulled BBQ chicken--> Success!



First, I can tell you that there is NO way that my pulled BBQ chicken would look like this and I promise to share my own pics whenever I can. That being said, 2 people have asked me for my ever-so-famous BBQ pulled chicken recipe today (that I got off the internet somewhere and some point in time- feel free to comment with citations), so I figured this was a good starting place.

Here is what you do:

Step 1: Get a crockpot! (WOO HOO for crock pots! The lazy person's cooking tool).

Step 2: Get a whole bunch of chicken breasts. I use frozen (they are cheaper and good to keep around when possible...to eat, not just for decoration or something creepy like that).

Step 3: Put the chicken breasts in the crockpot. I like to shove as many in there as possible. I mean, why take the time if you can't make a lot!

Step 4: Fill the crockpot with water so the chicken is totally covered (this is generally the time when I realize that my chicken to water ratio has gone awry and I need to remove some chicken or add some water without overflowing things)

Step 5: Add whatever else you want that you think will flavor the chicken well. Since I have no ability to determine what flavor is what, I generally just chop an onion (in large pieces... it just gets thrown out later...although I'm sure you could chop it finely and leave it in if you wanted to be super fancy) and add in crushed red pepper

Step 6: Turn the crockpot on low for about 6 hours

Step 7: Come back 6 hours later and pull out the chicken. Discard everything else. Let the chicken cool as to not burn your hands.

Step 8: Pull the chicken (like pull into little pieces) throwing away any fat.

Step 9: Put the pulled chicken back in the crockpot

Step 10: Add however much BBQ sauce you like... I generally add it until the chicken is totally covered and then there is just a bit more. Add just a tiny bit of water (I generally add a bit of water to the almost empty BBQ sauce bottle and use that)

Step 11: Cook for about 4 more hours on low.

Viola! BBQ pulled chicken!

Now....for a special surprise....

You can also make pulled buffalo chicken.

All you need to do is go back to Step 10. Instead of BBQ sauce, add buffalo sauce. I just add a LOT of Frank's Red Hot sauce, but that depends on how hot you like it.

O-so-creative serving tips:

Eat it on a bun for a sandwich
Roll it into a wrap (add pepperjack cheese/whatever else you'd like in a flour tortilla)
Save some of the pulled chicken to make something way to0 advanced for me, like enchiladas

Last tip- I prefer Famous Daves BBQ sauce. Yes, I know Sweet Baby Rays is often the favorite, but give me some Rich and Sassy for cooking and then Devil's Spit to add on later for the spice...mmmmmm (you can check them out by clicking here SAUCE)

Bon appetit! (BTW, I'm sure you could do this with pork, or some other meat, but as a poultry-itarian, I haven't tried that)

No comments:

Post a Comment