Saturday, December 31, 2011

Smore cups- 3rd time is the charm!

On Christmas, I made smores bites from a recipe I found on pinterest. I was a bit distracted by drinks and ping pong, so I left the dough out overnight. They tasted great (they were gone before my family arrived) but were very crumbly, as seen here:


Yummy, crumbly smores

Tonight I figured that I would make the smores again for New Years, but actually share them this time. In my wisdom, I decided to add a bit more butter to the base to see if they stuck better. Let's just say, I should not vary from a recipe. Click here to see the original recipe. Here's what happened:

You need 1 cup of graham cracker crust. Instead of crumbling my own, I bought this premade:



You then should mix 6 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup powdered sugar with the 1 cup of crumbs.


Mmmmmm.... butter

This is when I decided to use 8 tablespoons of butter instead. You then put the mix in a mini-muffin pan (about 1 tablespoon-ish each)



Then, you bake the mix for approximately 4 minutes at 350 degrees.

Immediately, the kitchen smelled like Auntie Anne's pretzels. While I enjoy buttery caked goodness, I was a bit thrown off since I was not at a mall, nor was I baking pretzels. I decided to check on the shell base and here is what I saw:



Buttered filled shells! Yuck! I basically created butter bowls, as you can see from the butter in the center. I attempted to salvage them through draining, but this is what happened instead:


Bye-bye original batch

I then had the pleasure of a 2nd trip to the grocery store on this lovely New Years eve to buy my crumbs (I bought double supplies on this trip, just in case!)

So, here is take 3.

I followed the recipe:

Ingredients- 1 cup of crumb mix, 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, 12 marshmallows, 6 tbsp butter, several chocolate bars (makes about 24 cups)

Step 1: Add in 1 cup of crumb mix, 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, 6 tablespoons of melted butter (no more!)


Step 2: Mix this and then press into a mini-muffin pan to form a shell:


Step 3: Bake the shells for approximately 4 minutes at 350 degrees. (I slightly overbaked them)


Step 4: Pull out the shells and add a piece of chocolate in the middle of each:



Side note: I would recommend the smaller size hershey bars. I bought some small and some big and here is the size difference between the two:



Step 5: Cut a marshmallow in half with wetted scissors (yes, actually wet them) and put the half, sticky side down on top of the chocolate (Note: I tried full marshmallows in a few, that was not successful).


Step 6: Put the pan into the oven for approximately 1-2 minutes, or until the marshmallows are soft.

Step 7: Let them cool for 15 minutes.

Step 8: Carefully remove them from the pan (I used a spoon to help)

Step 9: Melt chocolate bars in a bowl (I microwaved for 1 minute) and then drizzle the chocolate on top (you can dip it, but this was harder and things were falling apart)



Step 10: I put them in the fridge for a few minutes to solidify. This helped prior to serving.


Actual picture!

Viola!!! 3rd times the charm!

Happy New Years.

No comments:

Post a Comment